Re: popcount

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: popcount
Date: 2021-03-21 01:31:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 09:01:25PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 18.03.21 13:51, John Naylor wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Just a nitpick:
> >
> > +SET bytea_output TO hex;
> >
> > Since we don't see the string in the output, I don't immediately see the
> > reason to change the output format here?

That's how I got it to work. If there's a way to make it go without
that, I'd be delighted to learn what it is :)

> > Aside from that, this patch works as expected, and is ready for committer.
>
> I have now read the entire internet on what a suitable name for this
> function could be. I think the emerging winner is BIT_COUNT(), which
> already exists in MySQL, and also in Python (int.bit_count()) and Java
> (Integer.bitCount()).

Thanks for doing this tedious work. Please find attached the next
version of the patch.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-popcount.patch text/x-diff 7.2 KB