Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods (mac+lz4.h)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods (mac+lz4.h)
Date: 2021-03-21 00:44:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 05:37:07PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Digging around, it looks like the "-I/opt/local/include" bit came
>> from LZ4_CFLAGS, which we then stuck into CFLAGS, but it needed
>> to be put in CPPFLAGS in order to make this test work.

> If it's the same as the issue Andrey reported, then it causes a ./configure
> WARNING, which is resolved by the ac_save hack, which I copied from ICU.

I think probably what we need to do, rather than shove the pkg-config
results willy-nilly into our flags, is to disassemble them like we do
with the same results for xml2. If you ask me, the way we are handling
ICU flags is a poor precedent that is going to blow up at some point;
the only reason it hasn't is that people aren't building --with-icu that
much yet.