Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 18:10:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 12:50:01PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > => Should say 2020-XX-XX, before someone like me goes and installs it everywhere in sight.
> >
> > Agreed!

> > > => Maybe say "cannot change which partition is the destination"
>
> Looks like you copied my quote mark :(

I kind of liked it, but OK, removed. ;-)

> > > => enable_hashagg_disk doesn't behave like other enable_* parameters.
> > > As I understand, disabling it only "opportunisitically" avoids plans which are
> > > *expected* to overflow work_mem. I think we should specifically say that, and
> > > maybe suggest recalibrating work_mem.
> >
> > I went with "avoided":
> >
> > Previously, hash aggregation was avoided if it was expected to use more
> > than work_mem memory. This is controlled by enable_hashagg_disk.
>
> I think we should expand on this:
>
> |Previously, hash aggregation was avoided if it was expected to use more than
> |work_mem memory, but it wasn't enforced, and hashing could still exceed
> |work_mem. To get back the old behavior, increasing work_mem.

I think work_mem has too many other effects to recommend just changing
it for this.

> |The parameter enable_hashagg_disk controls whether a plan which is *expected*
> |to spill to disk will be considered. During execution, an aggregate node which
> |exceeding work_mem will spill to disk regardless of this parameter.
>
> I wrote something similar here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200407223900.GT2228%40telsasoft.com

I think this kind of information should be in our docs, not really the
release notes.

> > > I think you should say that's a size threshold which determines which strategy
> > > to use (WAL or fsync).
> >
> > I went with:
> > The WAL write amount where this happens is controlled by wal_skip_threshold.
> >
> > They can use the doc link if they want more detail.
>
> I guess I would say "relations larger than wal_skip_threshold will be fsynced
> rather than copied to WAL"

How is this?

Relations larger than wal_skip_threshold will have their files fynsced
rather than writing their WAL records.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +