Re: Collation versioning

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Douglas Doole <dougdoole(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Collation versioning
Date: 2020-03-17 17:43:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 05:31:47PM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Peter Eisentraut 2020-03-17 <fd8d4475-85ad-506f-2dda-f4d6e66785bc(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> > Did we discuss the regcollation type? In the current patch set, it's only
> > used in two places in a new regression test, where it can easily be replaced
> > by a join. Do we need it?

I originally wrote it for a previous version of the patchset, to shorten the
pg_dump query, but that went out when I replaced the DDL command with native
functions instead. It didn't seem to hurt to keep it, so I relied on it in the
regression tests.

> > I realize we've been adding new reg* types lately; I'm not sure what the
> > current idea is on that.
>
> Not sure if that's the case there, but reg* typecasts are very handy
> when used interactively in ad-hoc queries.

+1. I'm obviously biased, but I find it quite useful when querying pg_depend,
which may become more frequent once we start generating warnings about possibly
corrupted indexes.