Re: BUG #16100: Cannot access to the sever with the password

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: alnaica(at)hotmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16100: Cannot access to the sever with the password
Date: 2019-11-07 21:26:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 06:03:53PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>The following bug has been logged on the website:
>
>Bug reference: 16100
>Logged by: Al Aufustave
>Email address: alnaica(at)hotmail(dot)com
>PostgreSQL version: 12.0
>Operating system: FATAL: password authentication failed for user &quot;p
>
>Hi,
>I've downloaded PostgreSQL 12.0 and PgAdmin 4-4.14 recently on my
>MacBookPro12,1 since I've some issues to connect the server with my
>password. I've tried many times to uninstall and reinstall them and the
>problem is not solved. The system doesn't recognise the password even if I
>reset the password several times. I have a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina
>10.15 and Python 2.7.16. I need to use the PgAdmin to work on SQL code for
>my courses and I am not able to do it.
>
>Could you please help me solve this issue?
>
>Please let me know if you need additional information.
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you!

Reset the password how? Are you trying to connect to the database using
the macos user account? I don't think that works - PostgreSQL has a
separate list of users and authentication. Maybe try user "postgres"
with no password, or something like that.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com