Re: Multivariate MCV list vs. statistics target

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multivariate MCV list vs. statistics target
Date: 2019-08-01 10:30:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 05:25:31PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:

>> > The patch passed the make-world and regression tests as well.
>> > I've marked this as "ready for committer".
>>
>> The patch does not apply anymore.
>
>Based on the above, it sounds like this patch is super close and the
>only problem is bitrot, so I've set it back to Ready for Committer.
>Over to Tomas to rebase and commit, or move to the next CF if that's
>more appropriate.

I'll move it to the next CF. Aside from the issues pointed by Kyotaro-san
in his review, I still haven't made my mind about whether to base the use
statistics targets set for the attributes. That's what we're doing now,
but I'm not sure it's a good idea after adding separate statistics target.
I wonder what Dean's opinion on this is, as he added the current logic.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com