Re: Record last password change

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bear Giles <bgiles(at)coyotesong(dot)com>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Record last password change
Date: 2019-01-22 03:13:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 07:30:18AM -0700, Bear Giles wrote:
> BTW another solution is SSO, e.g., Kerberos. I still need to submit a patch to
> pgsql to handle it better(*) but with postgresql itself you sign into the
> system and then the database server will just know who you are. You don't have
> to worry about remembering a new password for postgresql. X.509 (digital certs)
> are another possibility and I know you can tie them to a smart card but again I
> don't know how well we could integrate it into pgsql.

(Good to talk to you again.) I recently wrote a blog entry about
putting the certificate and its private key on removable media:

https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2019.html#January_16_2019

and mentioned the value of PIV over removable media:

https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2019.html#January_14_2019

I can't think of a way to access a smart card for authentication, though
I did wrote a presentation on how to use PIV devices for server-side and
client-side encryption:

https://momjian.us/main/writings/crypto_hw_use.pdf

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +