Re: Record last password change

From: Bear Giles <bgiles(at)coyotesong(dot)com>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Record last password change
Date: 2018-12-12 14:30:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Could you add your own UPDATE trigger to the password table? It can write
an entry to a new table, e.g., (userid, current date) whenever a record in
that table is modified.

On an earlier question - the issue isn't whether someone can crack your
password, it's possible disclosure in archive media somewhere. E.g., a
classic example is someone who accidently commits source code that contains
a password and then reverts it. It's not in the current source code but
without a lot of effort (not always possible) it could be retrieved by
anyone with access to the commit history. If you change your password every
few months this will soon be a moot issue even if the person doesn't
mention this to someone who can change the password immediately.

A more subtle point is backups. An attacker might have had access to
encrypted backups (or regular backups containing encrypted records) for a
very long time and held onto them against the chance discovery of the
password. Once they learn it they have access to all of that data. If you
rotate the passwords they might have access to a few months of data but no
more than that. It's bad, but a few months is far better than a few years
if your data contains information that requires notification of everyone
affected and the offer of credit monitoring, etc.

I agree that people may choose bad passwords if forced to change them too
frequently but I'm in the camp that says it's fine to use a password
manager or even to write them down on a card kept in the person's wallet.

BTW another solution is SSO, e.g., Kerberos. I still need to submit a patch
to pgsql to handle it better(*) but with postgresql itself you sign into
the system and then the database server will just know who you are. You
don't have to worry about remembering a new password for postgresql. X.509
(digital certs) are another possibility and I know you can tie them to a
smart card but again I don't know how well we could integrate it into pgsql.

(*) I haven't looked at the code recently but the last time I checked pgsql
used the username/password combo. Enterprise environments usually use
keytab files instead of (u/p). It should also be smart enough to check if
the user already has a kerberos ticket and use it if nothing else is
specified. The latter would usually work with people. (I'm not sure what
happens in a more secure environment where the database expects the service
to be specified as well - users would need the username/postgresql(at)REALM
identity, not the more generic username(at)REALM identity.)