Re: Allowing extensions to find out the OIDs of their member objects

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allowing extensions to find out the OIDs of their member objects
Date: 2019-01-22 03:26:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/21/19 21:45, Tom Lane wrote:
> are concerned, but for cross-extension references it seems a
> lot better to be looking for "postgis / function_foo_int_int"
> than for "postgis / 3".

I wonder if postgis might offer a .h file with FUNCTION_POSTGIS_FOO_INT_INT
defined as 3, which extensions intending to use foo could be built against.

Any that aren't could still search by name and signature.

In the case of calls from core to some pluggable extension, of course
the .h file would be in core, with the implementing extensions expected
to build against it: in thy extension shalt thou provide XMLCAST at index 1,
XMLITERATE at index 2, etc.

Regards,
-Chap