Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] REINDEX CONCURRENTLY 2.0
Date: 2018-12-14 00:14:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> On 09/12/2018 19:55, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> >> reindex table CONCURRENTLY test;
>
> By the way, does this syntax make sense? I haven't seen a discussion on
> this anywhere in the various threads. I keep thinking that
>
> reindex concurrently table test;
>
> would make more sense. How about in combination with (verbose)?

I don't think it's a mistake that we have 'create index concurrently'
and it certainly would seem odd to me for 'create index' and 'reindex
table' to be different.

Certainly, from my recollection of english, you'd say "I am going to
reindex the table concurrently", you wouldn't say "I am going to
reindex concurrently the table."

Based on at least a quick looking around, the actual grammar rule seems
to match my recollection[1], adverbs should typically go AFTER the
verb + object, and the adverb shouldn't ever be placed between the verb
and the object.

Thanks!

Stephen

[1]: http://www.grammar.cl/Notes/Adverbs.htm