Re: Refactor textToQualifiedNameList()

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Refactor textToQualifiedNameList()
Date: 2018-10-09 12:54:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Oct-09, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 10:47:48AM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > The difference on 10M calls is about 300ms - it is about 6%.
>
> This number gives a good argument for rejecting this patch. I am not
> usually against code beautification, but that's a high price to pay for
> just some refactoring. On top of that, this potentially breaks
> extension compilation.

One thing I do like about this patch is that it takes
stringToQualifiedNameList out of regproc.c, where it was put as static
by commit 52200befd04b ("Implement types regprocedure, regoper,
regoperator, regclass, regtype" April 2002); made extern by ba790a5608ea
("Here is a patch for Composite and Set returning function support."
June 2002) in what appears to have been a careless change. The function
would end up in a place where it more reasonably belongs into,
varlena.c, next to its sibling textToQualifiedNameList.

The committer of such a change will get a lot of flak for changing the
#include requirements for code that calls that function, though.