Re: Postgres 11 release notes

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Date: 2018-09-12 17:34:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hi,

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:08:52AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have committed the first draft of the Postgres 11 release notes. I
> will add more markup soon. You can view the most current version here:
>
> http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-11.html

The first item of section 'E.1.3.10. Server Applications' is mine and
has this TODO (though maybe that should be better marked up?) text:

|IS IT CLEAR FROM THE DOCS THAT THE REPLICATION SLOT IS NOT TEMPORARY?

So I guess we need to decide on that before release. The current doc is
AFAIK:

| This option causes the replication slot specified by the
| option <literal>--slot</literal> to be created before starting the
| backup. In this case, an error is raised if the slot already exists.

I guess it does not hurt to have something like "to be (permanently)
created before starting", but what do others think? Is it clear enough?

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz