Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Craig Ringer' <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-07 17:20:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-07-07 19:12:58 +0200, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 01:15:15AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> > I believe that accepting patented code from companies would be
> > practically more useful for PostgreSQL enhancement and growth.
> > PostgreSQL is now a mature software, and it can be more
> > corporate-friendly like other software under Apache License.
>
> The Apache license is "friendly" to the patent holder, not so much to
> the aspiring maker of derivative proprietary software.

I don't think that's a true characterization. There's no meaningful
reduction in freedoms to make derivative proprietary software in of
apache 2 vs BSD/MIT like licenses. It gives you additional rights. Are
you talking about the retaliatory clause? If so, that only cancel the
patent license, not the entire license.

> We went with a very liberal license from the outset for what we
> believed were good reasons, and that's served us well over the
> decades. If you're proposing a change of this magnitude, it's going
> to have to be a lot more convincing than, "it would be convenient for
> my company this year."

It's entirely possible to dual license contributions and everything. Why
are you making such aggressive statements about a, so far, apparently
good faith engagement?

Greetings,

Andres Freund