Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: 'Craig Ringer' <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-07 17:12:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 01:15:15AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com]
> > I'm assuming you don't want to offer a grant that lets anyone use
> > them for anything. But if you have a really broad grant to
> > PostgreSQL, all someone would have to do to inherit the grant is
> > re-use some part of PostgreSQL.
>
> Your assumption is right. No scope is the same as no patent; it
> won't help to defend PostgreSQL community against rival
> companies/communities of other DBMSs. Or, I think we can set the
> scope to what OIN states. Fortunately, anyone can join OIN free of
> charge.
>

> > I guess there's a middle ground somewhere that protects
> > substantial derivatives and extracts but stops you using some Pg
> > code snippets as a freebie license.
>
> Are you assuming that developers want to use PG code snippets for
> non-PostgreSQL or even non-DBMS software?

Our license very specifically permits all types of derivative
software.

> I believe that accepting patented code from companies would be
> practically more useful for PostgreSQL enhancement and growth.
> PostgreSQL is now a mature software, and it can be more
> corporate-friendly like other software under Apache License.

The Apache license is "friendly" to the patent holder, not so much to
the aspiring maker of derivative proprietary software.

We went with a very liberal license from the outset for what we
believed were good reasons, and that's served us well over the
decades. If you're proposing a change of this magnitude, it's going
to have to be a lot more convincing than, "it would be convenient for
my company this year."

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778