Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Craig Ringer' <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-09 11:09:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 07, 2018 at 10:20:35AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> It's entirely possible to dual license contributions and everything. Why
> are you making such aggressive statements about a, so far, apparently
> good faith engagement?

One problem is that many contributors would not want to be tainted by
knowledge of the patents in question (since that leads to triple
damages).

How would you protect contributors and core developers from tainting?

One possible answer is that you wouldn't. But that might reduce the
size of the community, or lead to a fork.

Dual licensing does not get you out of these issues.

Nico