RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Craig Ringer' <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-05 01:15:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com]
> I'm assuming you don't want to offer a grant that lets anyone use them for
> anything. But if you have a really broad grant to PostgreSQL, all someone
> would have to do to inherit the grant is re-use some part of PostgreSQL.

Your assumption is right. No scope is the same as no patent; it won't help to defend PostgreSQL community against rival companies/communities of other DBMSs. Or, I think we can set the scope to what OIN states. Fortunately, anyone can join OIN free of charge.

> I guess there's a middle ground somewhere that protects substantial
> derivatives and extracts but stops you using some Pg code snippets as a
> freebie license.

Are you assuming that developers want to use PG code snippets for non-PostgreSQL or even non-DBMS software? I believe that accepting patented code from companies would be practically more useful for PostgreSQL enhancement and growth. PostgreSQL is now a mature software, and it can be more corporate-friendly like other software under Apache License.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa