Re: Add necessary package list to ldap TAP's README

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add necessary package list to ldap TAP's README
Date: 2018-06-20 03:59:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 06:59:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 06:45:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I was a bit disturbed that you'd push information that was "just guessed",
>>> so I went and tried to run the ldap tests on a couple different platforms.
>
>> I assumed they were guessed at and at least the URLs checked out.
>> Should we remove the patch?

Yes, I was a bit surprised to see this patch pushed without checks about
what I guessed. I am not a user of those other platforms.

> No, but it needs some adjustments. I'll go fix what I checked.

c992dca2 did not change anything about ldap packages. Are the ones
listed for RHEL and FreeBSD correct?

> Do you have an opinion on what to say about build-time vs test-time
> requirements?

It could be an idea to mention that for those test suites Postgres needs
to be built with the appropriate --enable-XXX switches or they are just
skipped silently. Something in each README files across the lines is an
idea:
"This test suite requires PostgreSQL to be built with the configure
argument --enable-XXX or they are entirely skipped".
--
Michael