Re: A Japanese-unfriendy error message contruction

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A Japanese-unfriendy error message contruction
Date: 2018-05-24 13:00:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello. Here is the patch set.

At Wed, 23 May 2018 11:20:24 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in <4979(dot)1527088824(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> After thinking about this some more, I'd like to propose that we change
> the English output to be "column COLNAME of <relation>", using code
> similar to what you suggested for O_POLICY etc. I know that I've been
> momentarily confused more than once by looking at obj_description output
> and thinking "what, the whole relation depends on this? ... oh, no, it's
> just the one column". It would be better if the head-word were "column".
> If that leads to better translations in other languages, fine, but in
> any case this'd be an improvement for English.
>
> > I'll clean-up the two thinkgs and post the result later.
>
> OK, I'll await your patch before doing more here.

Constraints also have namespace but I understand it is just a
decoration so I left it alone.

1. Remove tranlation obstracles.
2. Show qualified names for all possible object types.
3. Changes "relation R column C" to "column C of relation R".

Extended statistics's name qualification is not excercised in the
current regression test.

I found that the last one you sugeested makes error messages far
cleaner, easy to grasp the meaning at a glance.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Make-object-names-more-translatable.patch text/x-patch 7.4 KB
0002-Qualify-name-of-all-objects-that-can-define-namespac.patch text/x-patch 7.9 KB
0003-Change-object-description-of-columns.patch text/x-patch 7.4 KB