Re: A Japanese-unfriendy error message contruction

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A Japanese-unfriendy error message contruction
Date: 2018-05-23 15:20:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> At Tue, 22 May 2018 14:27:29 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in <13575(dot)1527013649(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
>> * Is it OK for the OCLASS_CLASS-with-subId case to assume that it can
>> tack on "column COLNAME" after the description of the relation containing
>> the column? Perhaps this is tolerable but I'm not sure. In English it'd
>> be at least as plausible to write "column COLNAME of <relation>", and
>> maybe there are other languages where there's no good way to deal with
>> the current message structure.

> In Japanese it is written as "<reltype> RELNAME 'NO' <column> COLNAME"
> the or just "<reltype> RELNAME <column> COLNAME" is no problem.

After thinking about this some more, I'd like to propose that we change
the English output to be "column COLNAME of <relation>", using code
similar to what you suggested for O_POLICY etc. I know that I've been
momentarily confused more than once by looking at obj_description output
and thinking "what, the whole relation depends on this? ... oh, no, it's
just the one column". It would be better if the head-word were "column".
If that leads to better translations in other languages, fine, but in
any case this'd be an improvement for English.

> I'll clean-up the two thinkgs and post the result later.

OK, I'll await your patch before doing more here.