Re: A Japanese-unfriendy error message contruction

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A Japanese-unfriendy error message contruction
Date: 2018-05-24 18:20:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Hello. Here is the patch set.

Thanks! I pushed all this plus fixes for the OCLASS_PUBLICATION_REL
code.

The only non-cosmetic change I made was that I didn't much like what
you'd done with the OCLASS_DEFACL code: it seemed quite confusing to
be renaming buffers like that, plus it was still assuming more than
I thought it should about how the message would go together in the end.
I took the advice of the manual instead, and just made pairs of
near-duplicate messages to be translated separately.

I'm still not sure whether the OCLASS_DEFAULT case is satisfactorily
translatable. It would not take a lot more code to expand its message to
"default value for column %s of %s", where the second %s is the result of
getRelationDescription. However, I have no idea whether there are any
translations where that would really work noticeably better.