Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Pierre Ducroquet <p(dot)psql(at)pinaraf(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v9.0
Date: 2018-01-29 09:46:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-01-28 23:02:56 +0100, Pierre Ducroquet wrote:
> I have fixed the build issues with LLVM 3.9 and 4.0. The LLVM documentation is
> really lacking when it comes to porting from version x to x+1.
> The only really missing part I found is that in 3.9, GlobalValueSummary has no
> flag showing if it's not EligibleToImport. I am not sure about the
> consequences.

I think that'd not be too bad, it'd just lead to some small increase in
overhead as more modules would be loaded.

> BTW, the makefile for src/backend/lib does not remove the llvmjit_types.bc
> file when cleaning, and doesn't seem to install in the right folder.

Hm, both seems to be right here? Note that the llvmjit_types.bc file
should *not* go into the bitcode/ directory, as it's about syncing types
not inlining. I've added a comment to that effect.

Greetings,

Andres Freund