Re: Built-in connection pooling

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Ivan Novick <inovick(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in connection pooling
Date: 2018-01-29 00:16:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 03:11:25PM -0800, Ivan Novick wrote:
> > The simplest thing sounds like a GUC that will automitcally end a connection
>
> > idle for X seconds.
>
> Uh, we already have idle_in_transaction_session_timeout so we would just
> need a simpler version.
>

> Oh i see its in 9.6, AWESOME!

In summary, the good news is that adding an idle-session-timeout GUC, a
max_connections limit hit cancels idle connections GUC, and a GUC for
idle connections to reduce their resource usage shouldn't be too hard to
implement and will provide useful benefits.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +