Re: Patches that don't apply or don't compile: 2017-09-12

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patches that don't apply or don't compile: 2017-09-12
Date: 2017-09-12 15:23:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Andreas,

On 09/12/2017 04:14 PM, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> > Title: Foreign Key Arrays
> > Author: Mark Rofail<markm(dot)rofail(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > URL:https://commitfest.postgresql.org/14/1252/
>
> I am currently reviewing this one and it applies, compiles, and passes the
> test suite. It could be the compilation warnings which makes the system
> think it failed, but I could not find the log of the failed build.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm changing the status of this patch back to
"Needs Review" and adding it to the exclude list until we will figure
out what went wrong.

> We want to be welcoming to new contributors so until we have a reliable CI
> server which can provide easy to read build logs I am against changing the
> status of any patches solely based on the result of the CI server. I think
> it should be used as a complimentary tool until the community deems it to be
> good enough.

Agree, especially regarding build logs. All of this currently is only an
experiment. For some reason I got a weird feeling that at this time it
will be not quite successful one. If there will be too many false
positives I'll just return the patches back to "Needs Review" as it was
before. But I strongly believe that after a few iterations we will find
a solution that will be good enough and this slight inconveniences will
worth it in a long run.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev