Re: Explicit relation name in VACUUM VERBOSE log

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit relation name in VACUUM VERBOSE log
Date: 2017-08-15 03:45:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> >> In vacuum_rel()@vacuum.c, there are a couple of logs that could be
> >> improved as well with the schema name.
> >
> > I agree that there's a lot of room for improvement there. If I'm
> > allowed some scope creep, I'd say that gathering detailed vacuum info
> > from both autovacuum and user-invoked vacuum in a central place would be
> > very welcome.
>
> Hm. I am not sure what you have in mind here.

I'm thinking that this data is useful to analyze as a stream of related
events, rather than as individual data points. Grepping logs in order to
extract the numbers is lame and slow. If you additionally have to mix
data that comes from vacuumdb with the autovacuum data from the server
log, that's much worse. Maybe you remember this thread?
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/509300F7.5000803%402ndQuadrant.com
I'm thinking it would be damn convenient to have both user-invoked
VACUUM and autovacuum emit some sort of event data which is saved
somewhere for later analysis.

I *did* mention this was scope creep ;-)