Re: Explicit relation name in VACUUM VERBOSE log

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit relation name in VACUUM VERBOSE log
Date: 2017-08-24 14:35:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Hm. I am not sure what you have in mind here.

> I'm thinking that this data is useful to analyze as a stream of related
> events, rather than as individual data points. Grepping logs in order to
> extract the numbers is lame and slow.

Yes. And there is a bigger issue here, which is that the output of
VACUUM VERBOSE is meant to be sent to the client for *human* readability.
(As you noted, INFO-level messages don't normally go to the server log
in the first place, and that's not by accident.) Repeating the full table
name in every line will be really annoying for that primary use-case.
I am not sure what we want to do to address Masahiko-san's use-case, but
ideally his workflow wouldn't involve log-scraping at all. It definitely
shouldn't involve depending on INFO messages --- for one thing, what
happens when those get translated?