Re: Bug in Physical Replication Slots (at least 9.5)?

From: Ryan Murphy <ryanfmurphy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Bug in Physical Replication Slots (at least 9.5)?
Date: 2017-07-06 15:00:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Poking this. Looking back through the discussion, this issue has been reproduced by multiple people. The patch still applies to HEAD without issues. I have no experience with PostgreSQL replication, so I'm not qualified to really review this. From what I can see with the patch, it's just a small block of code added to /src/backend/replication/walreceiver.c to handle some edge case where the WAL file no longer exists or something.

I think one thing that would help move this forward is if we edited the patch to include a comment explaining why this new code is necessary. There's lots of great discussion on this issue in the email list, so if a summary of that gets into the code I think it would make the patch easier to understand and make the new walreceiver.c less confusing.