Rust bindings to pgtypes lib

From: Kaare Rasmussen <kaare(at)jasonic(dot)dk>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Rust bindings to pgtypes lib
Date: 2017-07-06 14:47:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

For learning purposes (and because I probably need it) , I've started to make
Rust bindings to the pgtypes Library.

One problem I'm thinking about right now is how to know if, and where, the
library and the include files are installed. One way to avoid that problem is
to include the source of pgtypeslib in my project, and let the rust build
system take care of it *.

But is this possible, or feasible? I see that the makefile refers to
Makefile.global, and also includes stuff from ecpg, aat least. I don't want to
include the whole pg source tree, just the nice, safe, little corner that
would be used for this purpose.

How much of the source tree would I have to carve out?
Or from another perspective; how do other language (if any) solve this?

* Not sure it can, but other rust crates seem to do it that way, e.g. https://
github.com/alexcrichton/bzip2-rs

--
Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic: Nordre Fasanvej 12, 2000 Frederiksberg