Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Data at rest encryption
Date: 2017-06-16 00:08:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 04:56:36PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-06-15 19:44:43 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Understood, but now you are promoting a feature with an admittedly-poor
> > API, duplication of an OS feature, and perhaps an invasive change to the
> > code.
>
> *Perhaps* an invasive change to the code? To me it's pretty evident
> that this'll be a pretty costly feature from that angle. We've quite a
> few places that manipulate on-disk files, and they'll all have to be
> manipulated. Several of those are essentially critical sections, adding
> memory allocations to them wouldn't be good, so we'll need
> pre-allocation APIs.
>
> I've only skimmed the discussion, but based on that I'm very surprised
> how few concerns about this feature's complexity / maintainability
> impact have been raised.

Yeah, I guess we will just have to wait to see it since other people are
excited about it. My concern is code complexity and usability
challenges, vs punting the problem to the operating system, though
admittedly there are some cases where that is not possible.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +