Re: PG 10 release notes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 10 release notes
Date: 2017-05-05 00:58:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> The community ships a reliable logical _encoding_, and a test logical
> _decoding_.

As far as I am aware, logical encoding is a term you just made up,
because it's not referenced anywhere in the commit log or the source
tree, unlike logical decoding, which is referenced many times.

[rhaas pgsql]$ git log --grep='logical decoding' --oneline | wc -l
59
[rhaas pgsql]$ git log --grep='logical encoding' --oneline | wc -l
0
[rhaas pgsql]$ git grep 'logical decoding' | wc -l
242
[rhaas pgsql]$ git grep 'logical encoding' | wc -l
0

> This came up from discussion related to this item:
>
> the ability of logical decoding to follow timeline switches
>
> My point was that based on the text it is test_decoding that can do
> timeline switches, and is that significant enough to mention in the
> release notes?

Actually, that commit message says nothing about test_decoding. You
seem to be confusing a logical decoding output plugin (of which
test_decoding is an example) with the core logical decoding facilities
(which are what got modified by this commit). As Andres said, that's
like confusing postgres_fdw with the fact that PostgreSQL supports
foreign data wrappers.

> You can have all the emotional reactions you want.

I'll try to avoid emotional reactions on the list, but I think you
should try to understand how the features work if you're going to
write the release notes. The email to which I responded was factually
incorrect, and what you said in the email to which I'm replying now
was, too. If you want to keep insisting otherwise, you have that
right.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company