Re: Remaining 2017-03 CF entries

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remaining 2017-03 CF entries
Date: 2017-04-07 19:28:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
> > - fair number of people don't think it's ready for v10.

Given the number of votes against putting this on pg10, I am going to
back off from this patch now, with an eye towards putting it in pg11 as
soon as the tree opens. Either I or Pavan are going to post another
version of this patch series, within the next couple of weeks, so that
others can base their testing, review and suggestions.

> > - can't move to next fest because it's waiting-on-author, which doesn't
> > allow that. Doesn't strike me as a useful restriction.
>
> I agree that that CF app restriction makes little sense.

What the restriction means is that if a patch is in waiting-on-author,
the proper "close" action is to return-with-feedback. There is no point
in moving the patch to the next commitfest if there is no further patch
version.