Re: Non-empty default log_line_prefix

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Non-empty default log_line_prefix
Date: 2016-10-12 15:58:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Peter Eisentraut 2016-10-12 <0caa6d7f-deb6-9a43-2b38-60e63af93183(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> > Patch attached. (Still using %t, I don't think %m makes sense for the
> > default.)
>
> That still doesn't address what to do about syslog and eventlog users.
> We would need either a separate prefix setting for those, or maybe
> something like %q that says, skip to here if using syslog. (I don't
> know eventlog, so I don't know if a common setting for syslog and
> eventlog would work.)

This patch simply tries to fix the default (stderr + '') which wasn't
useful for anyone. Note that there is already a hint in the
documentation that says timestamps and PID are not useful for syslog.

(Yes, the '' default might be fine for syslog, but I don't think
that's a good argument for sticking with it for default installs. I've
seen way too many useless log files out there, and at worst we'll have
syslogs with two timestamps.)

Christoph