Re: ZSON, PostgreSQL extension for compressing JSONB

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Dorian Hoxha <dorian(dot)hoxha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ZSON, PostgreSQL extension for compressing JSONB
Date: 2016-10-05 11:45:43
Lists: pgsql-general

> ~everyone wants lower data storage and wants some kind of compression.
> Can this be made to automatically retrain when analyzing (makes sense?)?
> And create a new dictionary only if it changes compared to the last one.

It's an interesting idea. However I doubt it could be automated in
one-size-fits-all manner. One users would like to do re-learning during
analyzing, others during vacuum, once a month or say using triggers and
some sort of heuristics.

Despite that I see no reason not to accept pull requests with
implementations of different re-learning automation strategies. It's
just not a priority for me personally.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev