Releasing in September

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Releasing in September
Date: 2016-01-20 15:40:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Many people where happy with our consistent releasing major releases in
September, e.g. 9.0 to 9.3:

9.5 2016-01-07
9.4 2014-12-18
9.3 2013-09-09 <--
9.2 2012-09-10 <--
9.1 2011-09-12 <--
9.0 2010-09-20 <--
8.4 2009-07-01
8.3 2008-02-04
8.2 2006-12-05
8.1 2005-11-08
8.0 2005-01-19

We have gotten off of that cycle in the last two major releases, and
this isn't going to improve as long as we have commitfests starting
after January. In the September-release years, we used to start
preparing for beta in mid-February or early March. However, for 9.5 we
had our last commitfest _start_ in mid-February, and it didn't end until
mid-May. For 9.6 we have a commitfest starting in March 1. This will
never allow a September release.

Our current 9.5/9.6 timing looks more like the 8.X series of release
dates. Everyone might be fine with that, but we had better be prepared
for November-February major release dates going forward.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription +