Re: Releasing in September

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Releasing in September
Date: 2016-01-20 19:48:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20 January 2016 at 15:40, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> Many people were happy with our consistent releasing major releases in
> September, e.g. 9.0 to 9.3:
>
> 9.5 2016-01-07
> 9.4 2014-12-18
> 9.3 2013-09-09 <--
> 9.2 2012-09-10 <--
> 9.1 2011-09-12 <--
> 9.0 2010-09-20 <--
> 8.4 2009-07-01
> 8.3 2008-02-04
> 8.2 2006-12-05
> 8.1 2005-11-08
> 8.0 2005-01-19
>
> We have gotten off of that cycle in the last two major releases

Yes we have and I agree that it would be useful to return to it.

> For 9.6 we have a commitfest starting in March 1. This will
> never allow a September release.

If that is the case, then its too late to change.

March - last CF
April - integration
May - release Beta
Sept - release Prod

It seems perfectly OK for me to have Beta start at beginning May and for us
to release in September.

If the process takes more than 5 months (Apr - Sept) then there's something
wrong with that process, rather than there being a problem with the
schedule.

> Our current 9.5/9.6 timing looks more like the 8.X series of release
> dates. Everyone might be fine with that, but we had better be prepared
> for November-February major release dates going forward.

I don't mind what month we pick, as long as we stick to the schedule.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>