Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-09-24 19:19:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

* Stephen Frost (sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net) wrote:
> Not saying it's perfect, of course, but it's probably the best option
> for minimizing impact on our existing process.

I discussed the current state of debbugs with Don Armstrong (one of the
main individuals behind it) and his opinion is that debbugs could
certainly work. Further, he's been working to add support for
PostgreSQL to it, which would certainly be nice.

* Josh Berkus (josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com) wrote:
> I adore "Toggle useless messages" as a feature. ;-)

Ditto. :)

There are a few questions regarding just how it would work and what the
structure would be, but my thinking is that we'd handle it in much the
same way that Debian already does, therefore, without thinking about it
too much, I imagine we'd have:

'source' packages which map up to individual git repos from
git.postgresql.org.

'binary' packages (for the 'postgres' source package; other source
packages can make their own decisions) which map up to each binary we
have (psql, pg_dump, etc). That's a bit more granular than Debian does
but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I'm sure there are a number of other bits regarding the setup that need
to be considered and how it integrates with our existing mailing lists,
etc, etc, some of which will probably involve discussion with Don as we
work through them (based on my sub-1-hour response from him today, I
don't anticipate that being an issue), but the next big question is:

Are there any objections to pginfra standing up bugs.postgresql.org with
debbugs? Obviously, it'd be more-or-less beta as we play with it, and
we could set it up as beta-bugs.p.o, if there's concern about that.

Thanks!

Stephen