Re: WIP: About CMake v2

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date: 2015-09-01 04:33:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 01:28:49PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> If it allows us to get rid of our custom MSVC scripts, it's a huge
> benefit, for sure -- that has been a huge pain in the neck since day
> one.

Moreover, I suggest beginning with a patch that replaces the src/tools/msvc
build system with CMake. One can test almost all Windows configurations using
two machines, so author and reviewer can test most everything. src/tools/msvc
has more defects than the GNU make build system, so the minimum-quality
acceptable replacement is easier to deliver. With CMake driving all MSVC
builds, it would be much easier to gradually extend to other platforms.

Thanks,
nm