Re: WIP: About CMake v2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, YUriy Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date: 2015-09-01 04:49:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 01:28:49PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> If it allows us to get rid of our custom MSVC scripts, it's a huge
>> benefit, for sure -- that has been a huge pain in the neck since day
>> one.

> Moreover, I suggest beginning with a patch that replaces the src/tools/msvc
> build system with CMake. One can test almost all Windows configurations using
> two machines, so author and reviewer can test most everything. src/tools/msvc
> has more defects than the GNU make build system, so the minimum-quality
> acceptable replacement is easier to deliver. With CMake driving all MSVC
> builds, it would be much easier to gradually extend to other platforms.

mmm ... dunno about that plan. In the first place, you seem to be
recommending that YUriy incorporate all the deficiencies of src/tools/msvc
into his first draft and then hope somehow to fix them later. In the
second place, I think that the core problem here involves being sure
we can still cover all the portability issues that have been laboriously
hacked into the autoconf/gmake build system over nigh two decades.
Starting from a build system that was designed to cover exactly one target
platform, and has never been asked to do anything more than that, doesn't
sound like a recipe for success there.

Maybe you're right about how to approach this, but I wouldn't bet on it.