Re: PLR does not install language templates

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PLR does not install language templates
Date: 2013-06-24 19:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-06-24 12:24:29 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Joe, all:
>
> Ok, this is wierd. This is PostgreSQL 9.2.4, on Centos 6, installed
> using the packages at yum.postgresql.org. Is the below an issue with
> PL/R, the packages, or PostgreSQL?
>
> Seems like if a language is actually *installed*, it needs to have
> templates ...

No. Why? We don't really need templates at all anymore since the advent
of extensions.

The original reason for pltemplates was that the user shouldn't have to
manually know the handler names you need to pass to CREATE LANGUAGE. Now
we have CREATE EXTENSION making that unneccessary. So it's only backward
compat with older dumps that contain CREATE LANGUAGE verbatim instead of
CREATE EXTENSION.

How should pl/r automagically be installed into pl_template anyway? The
initdb may very well have been executed before installing pl/r.

Greetings,

Andres Freund