Re: PLR does not install language templates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PLR does not install language templates
Date: 2013-06-24 19:45:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Ok, this is wierd. This is PostgreSQL 9.2.4, on Centos 6, installed
> using the packages at yum.postgresql.org. Is the below an issue with
> PL/R, the packages, or PostgreSQL?

> Seems like if a language is actually *installed*, it needs to have
> templates ...

Not necessarily --- that's an optional feature. In fact, I am not eager
to encourage third-party PLs to start installing pg_pltemplate entries
anymore, because that's mostly vestigial in the extensions universe.
We should be encouraging use of CREATE EXTENSION not CREATE LANGUAGE to
install PLs, and for that you don't need a pltemplate entry. It's
likely that pg_pltemplate will disappear entirely before long.