Connection limits and MS Access?

From: Benjamin Smith <lists(at)benjamindsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connection limits and MS Access?
Date: 2010-08-16 19:07:49
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Server PostgreSQL 8.4 / 64 bit
Client MS Access 2007
ODBC driver 8.4.200

In order to support one of our clients, we've set up ODBC access to our
database server, and the contract specifies a single ODBC database connection.
We've enabled ODBC and gotten started, but Access seems to want to open a
database connection for each linked table - hardly beneficial!

We've tried enabling connection pooling for the PG ANSI driver (the one client
is trying to use) to no avail - as soon as we try to set up a 2nd linked
table, we get an error about connection limits.

Is there a way to force Access (or the ODBC driver) to reuse one connection
rather than opening multiple connections?

-Ben

believed to be clean.