Re: 10 TB database

From: Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle(at)tamay-dogan(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 10 TB database
Date: 2009-06-16 08:20:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Artur,

I am owner of a database about War, Worcrime and Terroism with more then
1,6 TByte and I am already fscked...

Am 2009-06-15 14:00:05, schrieb Artur:
> Hi!
>
> We are thinking to create some stocks related search engine.
> It is experimental project just for fun.
>
> The problem is that we expect to have more than 250 GB of data every month.

I have only 500 MByte per month...

> This data would be in two tables. About 50.000.000 new rows every month.

arround 123.000 new rows per month

> We want to have access to all the date mostly for generating user
> requesting reports (aggregating).
> We would have about 10TB of data in three years.
>
> Do you think is it possible to build this with postgresql and have any
> idea how to start? :)

You have to use a physical cluster like me. Searches in a Database of
more then 1 TByte even under using "tablespace" and "tablepartitioning"
let you run into performance issues...

I have now splited my Database in chunks of 250 GByte using a Cluster of
1U Servers from Sun Microsystems. Currently I run 8 servers with one
proxy. Each server cost me 2.300 Euro.

Note: On Friday I have a meeting with a Sun Partner in
Germany because a bigger project... where I have
to increase the performance of my database servers.
I have to calculate with 150.000 customers.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/> c/o Vertriebsp. KabelBW
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/> Blumenstrasse 2
Jabber linux4michelle(at)jabber(dot)ccc(dot)de 77694 Kehl/Germany
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com) Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886 Tel. FR: +33 6 61925193