Re: Automating Partitions in PostgreSQL - Query on syntax

From: "steven king" <vacuum(at)quantentunnel(dot)de>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net
Subject: Re: Automating Partitions in PostgreSQL - Query on syntax
Date: 2009-04-21 16:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:37:15 +0100
> Von: Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
> An: vacuum(at)quantentunnel(dot)de
> CC: "Dickson S. Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Betreff: Re: [HACKERS] Automating Partitions in PostgreSQL - Query on syntax

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:13 PM, <vacuum(at)quantentunnel(dot)de> wrote:
> > oh sorry ..
> >
> > but what I miss in this discussion - where we can define tablespace?
> >
> > CREATE PARTITIONS ON <table> (
> >
> > CASE WHEN <condition> THEN emp_xxx [IN <tablespace>],
>

> The point that you want to be able to set tablespaces is a good one
> though. The general point is that you're going to want to be able to
> set arbitrary table storage options though. That might mean you need a
> separate DDL command for each partition.

not in real - currently, when i create a table, the specified tablespaces must exist. this restriction you can apply to CREATE PARTITIONS too.

> The main thing the existing system lacks is an idea of what the
> partition key is and how to determine which partition a given key
> belongs in without checking every single partition. Figure out how to
> accomplish this in the backend and people will be happy to offer their
> suggestions for syntax.

why a partition-key cannot be a complex expression?

like this:

SWITCH <expression>
CASE <key_value> TABLE <table> [IN <table_space>]
CASE <key_value> TABLE <table> [IN <table_space>]
CASE <key_value> TABLE <table> [IN <table_space>]
DEFAULT <table> [IN <table_space>]

that is generic