Re: Automating Partitions in PostgreSQL - Query on syntax

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: vacuum(at)quantentunnel(dot)de
Cc: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Automating Partitions in PostgreSQL - Query on syntax
Date: 2009-04-21 15:37:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:13 PM, <vacuum(at)quantentunnel(dot)de> wrote:
> oh sorry ..
>
> but what I miss in this discussion - where we can define tablespace?
>
> CREATE PARTITIONS ON <table> (
>
> CASE WHEN <condition> THEN emp_xxx [IN <tablespace>],

One thing you should realize is that the actual details of the syntax
will be knocked around and redefined later when there's actual code
anyways. People love to add their contribution at that point, there's
a nickname for it "bike shedding". You should worry more about the
functionality rather than the precise presentation of it. What are you
aiming to achieve here that the existing system lacks?

The point that you want to be able to set tablespaces is a good one
though. The general point is that you're going to want to be able to
set arbitrary table storage options though. That might mean you need a
separate DDL command for each partition.

The main thing the existing system lacks is an idea of what the
partition key is and how to determine which partition a given key
belongs in without checking every single partition. Figure out how to
accomplish this in the backend and people will be happy to offer their
suggestions for syntax.

--
greg