Re: Euro PG conference?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: " Cédric Villemain" <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jean-Christophe Arnu" <jcarnu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Petr Jelinek" <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hans-Juergen Schoenig" <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <andreas(at)scherbaum(dot)la>
Subject: Re: Euro PG conference?
Date: 2007-10-10 17:45:35
Lists: pgeu-general

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:20:27 +0200
"Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Also, it is not very mature (pardon the term) to propose cities
> without tangible and realistic measures of the scope of the whole
> organisational thing. Believe me, organising a PGDay such as the one
> in Italy that we did last year, is very time consuming and requires
> lots of work. Thousands of man hours and several months of planning.
> Of course, only if that's the goal.

With respect that has got to be a very large exaggeration. I was part
of the team organizing PGDay last July in the US as well as PostgreSQL
Conference in a week.

I have also personally organized the last 4 OSCON's on my own.

If it took thousands of hours, you did something wrong.

> A city, without a working group and a real project, must not even
> be mentioned. I believe that candidate cities come up with a proposal
> and then we work it out. Proposing cities as we are doing now will
> take us nowhere.

This is correct. We certainly need to make sure we have boots on the
ground, which is why I brought up France. As I see it from a boots on
the ground perspective these are our options:

France
Italy
Germany
Britain

Of these four, Italy and France see to be the most useful. (Honestly,
Britian doesn't do much for me, I already speak english ;)).

> We need facts, we need responsabilities, we need people and names
> that are willing to carry them on.

Agreed.

> I am a bit concerned about the superficiality that we have all
> proved so far as a group. That's all.

O.k. then I vote France. Assuming the French group is willing to help
out a bit.

I know that I am 5000 miles away but there is a lot I can do to help.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Ciao,
> Gabriele

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
PostgreSQL solutions since 1997 http://www.commandprompt.com/
UNIQUE NOT NULL