Re: Terms and Definitions for Database Replication

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Subject: Re: Terms and Definitions for Database Replication
Date: 2007-09-06 12:45:06
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tuesday 04 September 2007 15:06, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as our documentation does not explain all of the terms used in
> replication, I've compiled a list of such terms and definitions at [1].
> Can somebody please link that page from the "Technical documentation >
> Community Generated Articles, Guides, and Documentation" in the
> Replication section?

Link added.

> I'd also appreciate comments, corrections and criticism about the
> document itself.

1st paragraph -> "everything less hurts ACID principles and thus isn't
transparent to the application"; ACIDity doesn't control transparancy to
application, so I would remove the "thus"

Single Master vs. MM -> I think you should mention that single master is
commonly reffered to as "master-slave". Also you should add an explicit
example of what MM is.

Eager vs. Lazy -> these terms are pretty nebulous in the literature, and your
definitions didnt resonate with me. But I don't disagree with it either :-)

Also, I think you need to add a section on shared nothing vs. shared
everything. And maybe also explain vertical partitioning vs. horizontal
partitioning (aka sharding). While the first has pretty much nothing to do
with replication, the second generally requires it to be done right.

HTH.

--
Robert Treat