Re: PGDay 2008

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGDay 2008
Date: 2007-09-05 13:28:13
Lists: pgeu-general

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:54:21PM +0200, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I think the discussion about the PGDay 2008 has drift off.
>
> Hans from Austria (the guy who made this really good talk about
> replication in Italy) asked me a few days ago, if we should make the
> next PGDay 2008 at Vienna because he can get rooms and folk for doing this.
>
> I told him, that our discussion, where is the next PGDay drift off. The
> discussion was, if it is in another country or if it should be every
> year in Italy.
>
> I my opinion, Vienna is good place for the next PGDay, because there is
> no big open source event in Austria and looking to the German speaking
> community, it seems, that we have more Austrian guys than German guys.
>
> What do you think?

In general, I certainly don't mind Vienna ;-)

But please work hard to make it an event that's not focused on the German
speaking community. At least not just on that ;) The way the italians did
it was pretty good, with their translators. For us non-german (or italian)
speakers, it would of course be better to have the entire conference in
english. But I realise that'll cut down on the number of locals attending,
and in those are the big numbers.

(It's been my unfortunate experience with other conferences I've been to in
Germany that they are very centered on the german speaking, which is a
problem for me ;-) But it may be that I've been unlucky in the ones I've
been at)

I think there is a big point to having a european conference that "moves
around" between the countries between the years. I don't know if we have
the resources to run more than one - if we do, we could certainly do one in
each.

But another important question is do we have enough resources in Vienna or
nearby? The Italians pulled in a *lot* of people working there, both pg
folks and the PLUG folks as I understood it.

(And of course, the italians had their own bar... :P)

//Magnus