Re: PGDay 2008

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGDay 2008
Date: 2007-09-05 14:23:39
Lists: pgeu-general

Hi Magnus,

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:54:21PM +0200, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I think the discussion about the PGDay 2008 has drift off.
>>
>> Hans from Austria (the guy who made this really good talk about
>> replication in Italy) asked me a few days ago, if we should make the
>> next PGDay 2008 at Vienna because he can get rooms and folk for doing this.
>>
>> I told him, that our discussion, where is the next PGDay drift off. The
>> discussion was, if it is in another country or if it should be every
>> year in Italy.
>>
>> I my opinion, Vienna is good place for the next PGDay, because there is
>> no big open source event in Austria and looking to the German speaking
>> community, it seems, that we have more Austrian guys than German guys.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> In general, I certainly don't mind Vienna ;-)
>
> But please work hard to make it an event that's not focused on the German
> speaking community. At least not just on that ;) The way the italians did
> it was pretty good, with their translators. For us non-german (or italian)
> speakers, it would of course be better to have the entire conference in
> english. But I realise that'll cut down on the number of locals attending,
> and in those are the big numbers.
>
> (It's been my unfortunate experience with other conferences I've been to in
> Germany that they are very centered on the german speaking, which is a
> problem for me ;-) But it may be that I've been unlucky in the ones I've
> been at)

Don't worry.
I know these issue and on the last conference I were, I found it horribe
and I discussed after the event with the organisation and told them
about our Italy event and the simultaneous speakers. They answered me,
that this is a great idea and I'll hope, that they will have
simultaneous speakers next year.
I think, it's more a question about: the Germans didn't think about
that. To be honest, before Italy I never thought about that too. But I
have seen in Italy how great this is and I am trying to kick the German
event organisations into this direction.

We won't make an event without translators !!

Susanne