Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Date: 2007-06-21 12:38:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2007 00:38 schrieb Gregory Stark:
> > I think people are worried that an 'm' in one column might mean something
> > different than an 'm' in another column, and perhaps that is confusing.
>
> To whom? the person writing it?

If everyone around here had gotten their way we'd already be in a situation
were you could write

log_rotation_age = 5m
log_rotation_size = 5m

And someone trained in the metric system would think, "What, five meters?".
So it rotates when age and size are the same or what? And the ultimate
consequence of that thinking is that the PostgreSQL developers are uneducated
dummies and clearly PostgreSQL cannot be a quality product if they can't even
get that right.

So by all means add documentation and hints.

Btw.: I'm currently at DebConf in Edinburgh. On Scottish motorway
signage, "5m" means "five miles". Even the Americans do that better. So,
no, you can't have "m" for "minutes". ;)

--
Peter Eisentraut