Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-16 23:22:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> [070416 19:03]:
> Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca> writes:
> > Would anyone know if these were "hand moved" to Attic?
>
> Seems unlikely, since there's a commit log entry for the removal. But
> this all happened seven-plus years ago and I'm sure there's an old CVS
> bug involved *somewhere*.
>
> I like the idea of re-adding and then re-removing the files on HEAD.
> Does anyone think that poses any real risk?

No - it even fixed the "hand moved" test I had done trying to create an
Attic with, when trying to figure out how they got that way in the first
place...

What I did when I converted the repo was just hand edit those files to
have a state of "dead" to match their position in Attic for those RCS
revs. If you "add" them and remove them, I believe my GIT conversion
will actually "follow" that correctly... If not - I just rm -Rf it and
let it go from scratch "one more time"... I'm glad computers are good
at that type of repetitive task...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,