Re: [RFC] PostgreSQL Access Control Extension (PGACE)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Glenn(dot)Faden(at)Sun(dot)COM, James(dot)Hughes(at)Sun(dot)COM
Subject: Re: [RFC] PostgreSQL Access Control Extension (PGACE)
Date: 2007-04-16 23:25:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Column level? We don't currently support that, except through VIEWs.
> How is it implemented?

It wasn't clear to me how much of this is actually working today and how
much is a paper design --- one thing in particular that stood out as
probable handwaving was the bit about being able to assign to a system
column in INSERT or UPDATE. I'm fairly sure that that would take some
*significant* redesign of querytree and plan targetlist representation
:-( ... I looked at it once for OIDs and decided it wasn't worth the
trouble.